Makes 16 scones
3 cups unbleached, all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
2 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon black pepper, freshly ground
1/2 cup finely chopped fresh chives
1 3/4 cups sharp hard cheese (such as Cheddar), grated (about 7 ounces)
2 cups heavy cream plus 2 tablespoons for brushing
1. Preheat oven to 375F.
2. Mix flour, baking powder, salt and pepper. Add chives and 1 1/2 cups cheese.
3. Add 2 cups cream and mix just until a sticky dough forms.
4. Knead dough on a floured surface until smooth. Divide dough in half, and roll each into an 8-inch round.
5. Brush each round with 1 tablespoon of cream. Using a butter knife, divide each round into 8 scones.
6. Sprinkle with remaining 1/4 cup of cheese and bake on a parchment-lined baking sheet for 20 minutes or until golden brown.
7. For smaller scones, divide dough into three or four rounds. Roll into a 6-inch round and divide into 8 scones.
For pictures and more information about chives visit:
(originally posted in the 6-18-09 CSA newsletter)